Living Responsibly in a Global Society
Faithful Citizen is a six-session small group adult study developed by the Center for the Congregation in Public Life that explores two views of current American life – individualism and the common good – and asks how to faithfully respond to the interlocking global challenges of economics, ecology, security, and health.
Each session may be conducted in one hour or expanded to include a meal and personal sharing.
• Session 1: Global Society “Why worry about the world’s troubles? I’ve got enough of my own!”
• Session 2: Global Economy “Is my job going to China?”
• Session 3: Global Ecology “I’ve changed my light bulbs. Now what?”
• Session 4: Global Security and Governance “Why don’t I feel safe? And besides, why do they hate us?”
• Session 5: Global Health “Why risk getting shots if plenty of other people refuse to be immunized?”
• Session 6: Civic Virtue “How can we teach citizenship? We don’t even have time to eat together!”
The course includes a DVD with six 10-minute conversations between renowned sociologist Robert Bellah, author of Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life, and Donald W. Shriver Jr., Emer. Pres., Union Theological Seminary (NYC). The DVD also includes six 5-minute clips that uncover the challenges, tensions, and unresolved dilemmas created by the current global situation.
Faithful Citizen includes two resources:
1. A six-session Leader Guide with detailed session plans and discussion questions for each week. Also includes a DVD with two video segments for each session (1 hour 30 minutes total).
2. A 122-page Study Guide includes weekly background information on topics plus discussion questions, prayers, and resources for reflection.
How To Get Started
• Purchase 1 Starter Kit for each facilitator by clicking below. Includes 1 Leader Guide (with DVD) and 1 Study Guide.
FCSTP – $55.71 ea
• Purchase 1 Study Guide for each participant (click here to order). FCSTG – $16.95 ea